PSTC has years of experience in obtaining operating authorities for both the US and Canada.  Let us help you through the red tape so you can focus on starting and growing your business.  Contact us today to see how we can get you started today.   Then once your operational we will be beside you to keep you in business helping you to protect your best asset in today’s trucking industry, your good safety rating.


US Operating Authorities changes under URS

Logo for Unified Registration SystemOn December 12, 2015, the US Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration began to roll out their new registration system for various forms and applications that Carriers, Freight Forwarders and Brokers had to use to apply  for and complete for their appropriate authorities.  Titled Unified Registration System or URS new applicants will now be required to use this system.

The URS system will eventually see current MC, FF and MX numbers disappear leaving USDOT numbers the sole identifier for registrants.  Additionally, new fees will be implemented in 2017.

USDOT number and other requirements to operate in the United States

Who needs a USDOT number?

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

  • Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding (whether interstate or intrastate).


  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
  • Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;

AND is involved in Interstate commerce:

Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—

  • Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
  • Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
  • Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

See more information

Canadian and Mexican based carriers, Freight Forwarders and Brokers are required to obtain a USDOT number as well as comply with all US regulations.


A BOC-3 is a US Federal filing that designates legal agents of process in every state.  This agent of process will accept legal filings on your behalf  in the event of any legal proceeding against you.   They are not retained to represent you.   New and existing Motor Carriers, Freight Forwarders and Brokers must have a BOC-3 on file before any authority is issued.  As of September 30, 2016 new Private HM & Exempt For-Hire Carriers have to file a BOC-3.

Financial Responsibility

The requirement for financial responsibility differs based on the type of operation.  Carriers for example must provide adequate insurance while load brokers must provide a  a Surety Bond or Trust Fund Agreement.  Authorities are not issued until the applicant fulfills this requirement.

Insurance Requirements

Drug and Alcohol Testing

Who needs drug testing:

  • Anyone employing CDL drivers to operate commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) on public roads
  • CDL drivers who operate CMVs on public roads
  • Interstate motor carriers
  • Intrastate motor carriers

Carriers are reminded that before any new CDL driver operates your commercial motor vehicle they must pass a pre employment drug test AND be part of a random drug pool.

PSTC provides DOT start up authorities