While not exactly a victory for commercial truck operators it’s not all bad news either.  The Ontario Trucking Association (OTA) announced that the province has agreed to extend the phase-in period for the increased heavy truck licencing fee by an extra year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodysworld1778/7088910231/

This plate is about to cost a heck of a lot more. Can you beat the price increase?

In March 2012 the Ontario Government introduced a “modest” 70% increase on the heavy truck licencing fee. The phase-in period was supposed to be 30% increase December 2012 and 40% increase December 2013.   In response the OTA launched a “Put the Brakes on the 70% Fee Increase” campaign.  While not successful in canceling  new fees they have been successful adding an extra year to the phase-in period and if my math is correct, the fee is lower as well.

The new schedule announced is now; about  22.3% in December 2013  and  6.3% in December 2014 for a total of 28.6% increase instead of 40%.

“Although OTA had urged the government to cancel the fee increase altogether, this announcement to delay full implementation until 2014 provides carriers with some additional breathing space and allows them time to adjust contracts accordingly,” said OTA president David Bradley.

“A 70% increase in any expense item is a challenge,” says Bradley. “Unfortunately, when it comes to things like taxes and fee increases it’s very difficult to shut the barn door after the horses have bolted. Nevertheless, we welcome the minister’s announcement; the government has listened to the concerns of truckers, who, under the previous phase-in schedule, were being asked to bear a disproportionate toll of the increase in these tough economic times.”

Not the only increase

Ontario Drivers Licence The heavy truck licencing fee are not the only increases either, the Ontario Government issued a schedule of new fees that will start going into effect September 1 2013.  Everything from the family car, to trailer plates, drivers licences  and more are going up.  There is even a new New Entrant Education and Evaluation Program fee that new CVOR operators will have to pay.

Here is the schedule released by the Ontario MTO:

2013/14 Driver and Vehicle Licence Fee Changes

Fee changes effective September 1, 2013:

Current
Fee

Sept.1, 2013

Sept.1, 2014

Sept.1, 2015

Passenger Vehicle Licence Validation
  • Northern Ontario
$41 $45 $49 $54
  • Southern Ontario
$82 $90 $98 $108
New Driver’s Licence and Renewals

$75

$80

$80

$80

Driver Examination Fees
  • G Knowledge Test
$10 $15

TBD – Some Fees will be increased based on Consumer Price Index (CPI)

TBD – Some Fees will be increased based on Consumer Price Index (CPI)

  • G1 Practical Test
$40 $50
  • G2 Practical Test
$75 $85
  • M Knowledge Test
$10 $15
  • M1 Practical Test
$40 $50
  • M2 Practical Test
$75 $85
  • Classified Knowledge Test
$10 $15
  • Classified Practical Test
$75 $85
  • Air Brake Endorsement Practical Test

$40

$50

$50

$50

New Driver Instructor Licence and Renewals $1.25 per month $1.33 per month $1.33 per month $1.33 per month
Commercial Vehicle Validation
(3,000 kg and less), Personal Use
  • Northern Ontario
$41 $45 $49 $54
  • Southern Ontario
$82 $90 $98 $108
Commercial Vehicle Validation
(3,000 kg and less), Business Use
$82 $90 $98 $108
New Entrant Education and Evaluation Program

$0

$32

$32

$32


Fee Changes effective November 1, 2013:

Current
fees

New Fee 2013

New Fee 2014

New Fee 2015

Driver’s Licence Replacement $15 $20 $25 $28
Vehicle Number Plate

$12

$13

$15

$20

Driver Instructor Licence Replacement $10 $20 $25 $28
Bus Validation
  • Minimum (1 – 2,500 kg)
$76 $87 $100 $120
  • Maximum (39,001 – 40,000 kg)
$1,270 $1,460 $1,679 $2,015
Oversize/Overweight Permit Replacement

$10

$20

$25

$28

Fee Changes effective December 1, 2013:

Current
fees

New Fee 2013

New Fee 2014

New Fee 2015

Heavy Commercial Vehicle Validation
  • Minimum – 3,001 – 3,500 kg
$142 $174 $185 $185
  • Maximum – 63,001 – 63,500 kg
$3,539 $4,330 $4,601 $4,015


Fee Changes effective January 1, 2014:

Current
fees

New Fee 2014

New Fee 2015

New Fee 2016

Farm Vehicle Validation Fees
  • Minimum – 3,001 – 3,500 kg
$93 $107 $123 $140
  • Maximum – 63,001 – 63,500 kg
$737 $848 $975 $1110
Commercial 10-day Special (formerly “Trip”) Permits
  • Minimum (for Unladen Commercial Motor Vehicles)
$17 $20 $23 $23
  • Maximum (for Combination of Commercial Motor Vehicles and Trailers)
$152 $175 $201 $201
Passenger 10-day Special (formerly “Trip”) Permits $17 $20 $23 $23
Registration (permit/plate/validation) – Off Road Vehicle $36 $37 $38 $38
Registration (permit/decal/validation) – Motorized Snow Vehicle $31 $32 $33 $33
Trailer Plate/Permit & Validation

$40

$46

$53

$59

Permit Issue – Motor Vehicle and Trailer $10 $10 $14 $20
Enhanced by Zemanta