Commercial Vehicle Operator Record
Ontario Ministry of Transportation CVOR

Operating Authorities


If your just starting your company or looking to expand it is likely you need an operating authority and permits. Both Canada and the United States have several authorities and additional permits/registrations, finding out exactly what you need can be time consuming. That is where we come in. We help you along the way and give you the right start that you need to become a success.



National Safety Code NSC or CVOR

Common permits and licenses required of Canadian carriers is a National Safety Code number. Filed in your home jurisdiction it follows you from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific. The province of Ontario calls this number a CVOR.


International Registration Plan or IRP

If you plan on leaving your home province you will be required to obtain International Registration Plan, this is your plates. IRP plates are purchased annually and fees are calculated based on prorated mileage and weight. Each jurisdiction you wish to travel to should be on your CAB card which accompanies your plate. Some provinces and states might additionally charge taxes along with the plate fee.


International Fuel Tax Registration or IFTA

Interstate carriers will also be required to obtain International Fuel Tax Registration. IFTA fuel taxes are payable every quarter and reported to your base state. Additionally the states of New York, New Mexico, Kentucky and Oregon require additional mileage tax registration and reporting. Oregon requires a bond for all new carriers and require monthly reporting.


DOT numbers and MC numbers

Carriers in the United States and carriers based in or Canadian carriers wishing to enter into the United States will be required to obtain a DOT number. For Hire Carriers will additionally be required to obtain a Motor Carrier Number which is your US Operating Authority. Those carriers requiring a MC number will have to provide proof of insurance and file a BOC-3.



BOC-3 is an Agent of Process. BOC stands for blanket of coverage . An Agent of Process is a legal firm authorized to receive and forward legal documents in case of a legal proceeding in a given state.


Unified Carrier Registration or UCR

All entities with an active DOT number including brokers must file an annual Unified Carrier Registration (UCR). Fees are based on size of fleet. UCR replaced the former Single State Authority.


Hazmat, tobacco, alcohol and other regulated products

Carriers wishing to haul Hazardous Materials, tobacco, alcohol and other regulated products may have to apply for specific permits and licenses.


Carriers wishing to haul Hazmat in the United States must register with the Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration annually. Additionally some states require additional registrations.


Tobacco and alcohol registrations differ from state to state, some require permits, reports, and or registrations based on commodity or pick up and or delivery.


Drug and Alcohol Programs

All carriers operating in the United States must provide Drug and Alcohol testing to all their drivers. Drivers can not be dispatched on new hire until a pass Drug and Alcohol test is returned to the carrier. All drivers must be maintained within a random drug pool.

Canadian carriers DO NOT ever dispatch a new driver into the US until you obtain a passed Drug and Alcohol test back from your service provider!


The FMCSA New Entrant Safety Assurance Program

The FMCSA New Entrant Safety Assurance Program applies to all new carriers starting operations as an Interstate Carrier in the United States. Carriers WILL BE audited within the first 18 months of operations. Carriers MUST pass this audit in order to obtain their permanent operating authority. Auditors will examine all files, log books and other documents and records to ensure the carrier is complying to all safety regulations.





PSTC's professional staff is here to help guide you through obtaining your operating authorities and beyond. With our full line of products and services you can rest assured that your company can obtain an excellent safety rating and keep it.


PSTC is always available to answer any questions you may have on this or any other subject, please feel free to contact us.



Check back for our FAQ on US and Canadian Operating Authorities.







US Operating Authorities including DOT and Motor Carrier Authorities Canadian Operating Authorities including CVOR Permits and Licensing
N3R 5V7


[email protected]




Located in Brantford Ontario Canada Tel: 877-796-7016
Ontario CVOR

PSTC serving : Brant, Toronto, London, Cambridge, Kitchener, Hamilton and GTA

PSTC US and Canadian Hours of Service Training and HOS Driver Log Auditing. Vehicle Inspection Auditing. Driver training in Hours of service and Vehicle Inspections.

copyright | Peter Suess Transportation Consultant Inc

go to design two go to design three